Our favorite go-to dessert for summer picnics and camping trips
SERVINGS: 20 Bars | CALORIES: 355 kcal
- 1 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 7 cups Corn Flakes Cereal (I use Special K)
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1/2 cup Butter
- Melt together corn syrup and sugar. Stirring until combined on the stove.
- Remove syrup from the heat and add Peanut Butter.
- Stir in Cereal.
- Pour into lightly greased 9×13. I like to use wax paper to press the mixture evenly
- Melt together chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and butter in the microwave until completely melted. Stir every 30 seconds making sure not to overcook the chips. Should be a silky consistency.
- Spread over the bars evenly and let the bars cool.
Last week, I texted my cousin Kerry with the words Special K® Bars. She replied back instantly to Cook Forest! Since circa 1980 my family has visited Cook Forest State Park in Pennsylvania. I hadn’t been in a few years and Bruce and I decided to spend our 10th anniversary down there. One of the staples was always Special K Bars that my mom made for us. So I had to make them because that’s tradition. Since there’s peanut butter in the treat I knew Bruce would love them since he is known as a peanut butter monster. Left to his own devices, I think he would eat PB&J for every meal!